20 June 2008

more. eat. please.

About a month ago language exploded in my household. We've been working on signs with him since he was about five months, and he's consistently produced more, milk, done, and eat. We've had less success with please, thank you, bath, ball, book, sleep, mama, and dad. On a Tuesday night at a Mexican restaurant, something connected. Around 7:30 p.m., he asked for more. I asked him if he could say please, showing him the sign again. He enthusiastically started rubbing his open palm on his chest in a circle. My mother and I got very excited, as he'd never, ever done that before. We clapped enthusiastically and gave him more and thanked him for his politeness.
A few minutes later, he cocked his head to the left and rested it on his palm. "Do you think he's trying to tell us he wants to go to sleep?" I asked.
"Well, he does look tired," my mother commented.
"Baby, do you want to go to sleep?" I asked, making the sign. He rested his head on his palm.
"Okay, well, you can't do that now. We're eating dinner. Plus you have to go home and take your bath." I made circles with my fists over my chest. He smiled, and his fists vigorously circled his chest.
The next day, he asked for more at dinner. "Can you say please?" I asked and made the sign.
He replied: More. Eat. Please.
His language skills aren't limited to signs now. He can also shake his head no and point to things in response to questions. For example, Husband or I might say, "Okay, baby, do you want up, down, Dad, Mom, your cup, The Foot Book, Sock Monkey, banana?" or any other thing that he could possibly intend. He'll smile and shake his head so hard that I worry about brain damage. Or this afternoon, when he wouldn't stop crying. He'd screamed at me for upwards of ten minutes because I wouldn't give him more milk. Nothing I did calmed him. By the time Husband walked in the door, I was on my back, on the floor, head on a pillow contemplating running away to Italy. Baby waddled over to him, still screaming and pathetically held out his arms for up. Husband picked him up and he nestled into his dad's arms and glared at me from above.
"Baby, what's wrong?" Husband cooed. "Why are you crying?"
He sniffed, then gulped, and pointed at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No matter what, he's just the cutest thing. :-)