20 June 2008

Truth, or stupid babies need the most love, part 5

My kid has words now. He says ball, down, done, dog, and today he said beep after Husband said it first. Though his spoken vocabulary is somewhat limited, he will not shut up.
Ball was his first word, but dog is by far his favorite. He doesn't pronounce dog the way most people would. Instead he draws out the word and mangles sounds a bit so that it comes out sounding like daw-aug.
He says it when he hears a dog, sees a dog, sees a house where a dog lives, sees a neighbor who happens to own a dog or two or sees any other type of animal or mode of transportation. A typical day goes something like this:
Hears a dog bark at breakfast: daw-aug!
Me: Yes, Baby, that's a dog barking.
Reading The Very Busy Spider, the page with the dog: daw-aug!
Reading The Very Busy Spider, the page with any other animal: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's a spider-sheep-goat-cow-horse-rooster-cat-owl.
Getting into the car and seeing the neighbor's cat: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's a cat.
Going on a walk and seeing a squirrel or bird: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's a squirrel. And that's a bird.
Pointing at the animals on his sheets: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's an elephant. No, Baby, that's a monkey. No, Baby, that's a giraffe.
Pointing at the animals on his wall: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's a zebra. No, Baby. That's an elephant. No, Baby, that's a whale.
Playing with his Ark: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby. That's Noah. No, Baby, that's Mrs. Noah.
Climbing on the unused stroller: daw-aug!
Me: No, Baby, that's a stroller.
And so on.
The other day Husband and I had an almost tense discussion about my conversations with Baby.
I think you're being too hard on him, he chastised.
But if I don't tell him the right words, how will he know? I argued.
Sweetie. He sighed. He's a baby. He sighed again. He'll get there.
But I don't want him using the wrong vocabulary. I don't see any harm in correcting him.
Okay, he said, in that way that people say okay when they know their position is the correct one but they say okay so the other party will stop talking and let them go back to watching soccer undisturbed.
Leighann agrees with Husband on this one. Eh, she said. Dog, cat, four legs, tail, who cares? I pictured her shrugging and taking another sip of wine.
I'm not correcting him because I have a paranoia that him not correctly identifying a cat from a dog or a knife from a dog at 15 months will keep him out of Harvard. I correct him in order to instruct and converse with him, and I always tell him when he's right.
But it does get old sometimes. Sometimes, he'll point to a squirrel for the 80th time on our stroll to the playground, say daw-aug!, and I'll find myself sighing and saying, yes, Baby. That's a dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just keep talking to him, that's the most important thing. The whole language thing will come together in another 3-9 months.