15 July 2008

Continuing to bitch, but doing something about it

Disclaimer: I recognize that we're all saturated with discussion (bitching and moaning) about gas prices, where the blame lies, and what to do about them. I'm adding to it anyway.

I remember talking to Leighann on the phone almost three years ago, right after Hurricane Katrina, and fretting over having just paid $30 to fill up my Civic. I fretted to Leighann because I'd already called Husband, and he wasn't sufficiently outraged. She was. I felt outraged by the cost of fuel, especially as I commuted 120 miles a day to work, but I adopted Husband's what are you going to do about it attitude. They-the void that held responsibility for the gas prices-had us by the balls, and the realities of our lives prevented us from doing anything about it or even caring to do anything about it other than bitch.
Now, almost three years later, I've unexpectedly found myself in a position where I'm outraged enough and physically able to do something about gas in my own little way.
I started riding my bike to class because I felt a little panickier each time I filled up my Civic and watched the numbers slowly tick towards, then past $40. $40! It's a fucking Civic! $40! I knew it wouldn't be much, but I figured it would be something.
I found I enjoyed biking and soon started nagging Husband until he finally begrudgingly agreed to let me purchase a baby seat for my bike.
Mr. Independent and I have been getting used to doing our normal activities on bike rather than by car. If I get just what I need for that evening's dinner, I can sort of fit everything into my basket. We can bike to a couple of playgrounds, play until he starts throwing mulch, and ride home while he kicks and screams and gives off the general impression to strangers that I am, in fact, torturing him. I (and I think he) know that I will inevitably forget to strap his feet in on the ride home, and we will spend the return trip fighting over which has more right to the seat, his feet or my ass. We biked to the library and Five Guys and the farmers market. Since it's summer, I can spare 2 hours to bike to the grocery store for a half gallon of milk.
And once I proved to myself that I can realistically get around town on my bike, I started working on Husband. I proposed that we pick a week and go as car free as possible. He could make an exception for work, because he works at a bookstore and understandably doesn't want to be a sweat monster in front of customers, but other than that, we needed to either do without or figure out a way of getting there without using our cars.
Our week starts tomorrow. I hope that this experience will cause us to actually be active and creative, but I fear that we'll just become shut-ins for a week, ordering all our meals from Papa John's. I don't have any predictions, other than I predict that our house will kind of smell like a gym for a week. I'll try to do a day-by-day update, and feel free to check in and hold me accountable. I really want to make this work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always try for one-car free day a week and can sometimes even manage two, but never more than that. You guys rock!