09 September 2007

A Confession

Husband and I are very poor. Our poorness comes from several bad habits, including eating out way too much and purchasing things we don't need. On that note, I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday. I had to go get a prescription filled for Baby's sinus infection, and I had a 45 minute wait. I also really wanted Starbucks, so it was convenient. Barnes and Noble often does a "Buy 2 get the 3rd free" deal, and the books on that table tend to be non-fiction, like memoirs and the history of interesting things, so I wandered over. We don't have money to buy books, I kept thinking to myself. Then I thought I'd just look. I looked and saw four books I wanted. That wouldn't do a whole lot for the 3 for 2 deal, so I walked away. Then I wandered back. I saw another book I wanted, so the count was up to five. I made a bargain with myself, the whole time thinking that I really should just leave the store immediately. But I didn't. I told myself that if I could find one more book I was interested in, I could get the five I wanted, cause the third and sixth books would be free anyway. I did a few laps around the table, but I didn't see anything I wanted enough to justify my purchasing all the other books. Then I noticed that the books on sale weren't just on top of the table; they were also underneath it. I found about six more books I wanted, and finally settled on Suze Orman's 9 Steps to Financial Freedom or something like that. I figured it was fitting, although whenever I buy financial advice books, I always wonder why they don't start with "Don't buy this book. Get it from the library instead." I took my books to the checkout counter, put them on my credit card, and decided I'd have the small frappucino rather than the large, since I'd already spent money on books. Then I hid the books in the trunk of the car, since I wasn't supposed to be buying books in the first place. As far as I know, they are still there. I haven't had a chance to sneak more than two into the house just yet. To make all of this worse, school's started, Baby's in KinderCare, and I see him for all of 3 hours a day at most. When am I going to find the time to read these six books?
In what might be a good mood for me, however, I don't feel as guilty as I should. I'm not sure what Husband's reaction is going to be. I guess I'm hoping he doesn't need to open the trunk of his car for awhile...

3 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

How about rewarding yourself every day with some down time for reading after you've finished with whatever post-work chores you need to accomplish?

Katie said...

Hi Grace! Does husband read this blog? Miss you in C'ville. Katie

Grace Ellen said...

Um...a week later he said, "Wait, you bought six books?!?!"
Are you coming this way anytime soon?