31 December 2007

Resolve

For the past few years, since I left graduate school, really, I've thought that I don't read enough. I used to read constantly, but I have a really hard time getting iton books these days, what with a real job and a baby and all. But Husband's brother spent a few days with us, and as they tend to do, they spent a lot of time talking about books I haven't read and movies I haven't seen. So I'm going to try to read more. I'll take books in chunks of 20, and when I'm done with one set of 20, I'll make up another set. I'm also trying to find books that I either borrow, already have, or can find at the library because our home library easily tops 2000 books. So here's the first list.

Grace’s Book List #1

1. Paradise-Toni Morrison
2. Beloved-Toni Morrison
3. Intuition-Allegra Goodman
4. David McCullough-The Johnstown Flood
5. Blink-Malcom Gladwell
6. The Professor and the Madman-Simon Winchester
7. Spook-Mary Roach
8. The Kite Runner-Khaled Hosseini
9. Cry, The Beloved Country-Alan Paton
10. She Got Up Off the Couch-Haven Kimmel
11. Wonder Boys-Michael Chabon
12. Everything is Illuminated-Jonathan Saffron Foer
13. His Dark Materials-Philip Pullman (13, 14, and 15)
16. Friday Night Lights-H.G. Bissinger
17. 740 Park-Michael Gross
18. The Almost Moon-Alice Sebold
19. The Ringmaster’s Daughter-Jostein Gaarder
20. Don’t Try This At Home-ed. Kimberly Witherspoon and Andrew Friedman


Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I have #6 and will give it to you the next time I see you. It's definitely worth your time.

The Kite Runner is not good if you're having a tough week and feeling down.

Have you seen my reading goals for 2008?

Grace Ellen said...

I already have all the books on my list, although if you have Fast Food Nation or the Morgan Spurlock (sp?) book, I'm interested for the next round.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I borrowed FFN from a friend, but I'll check on the Spurlock book. I can't remember if we own it or if it was a library book.

Anonymous said...

I think you should resolve to write more blogs. Katie

Anonymous said...

Good luck--you are one ambitious woman. I didn't make it through Paradise, and didn't feel bad after I heard Morrison comment to Oprah (after she said SHE didn't understand it) that you weren't supposed to understand it. Huh? That pretentious attitude turned me off of her and onto Sarah Gruen and Elizabeth Berg and Anne Tyler. Reading should make a person happy, no?

Grace Ellen said...

Melissa,
My husband just finished a Toni Morrison class, so that's why she made the list. I know very little about her, personally, having only read one of her books (Jazz) at the age of 15, and totally not getting it.
Pretension tends to turn me off as well.
And I COMPLETELY agree that reading should make you happy.