28 December 2007

Sobbing in My Car

I make a strong effort not to pay attention to the news. I've learned that it's better for all involved if I don't know about impending bird flu, the war on terror, negative campaigning, or credit crises. But I love NPR and hate the radio in general. So when I'm, driving around, either on the way to work in the morning or on the way home from work/the gym, I tend to put NPR on rather than listen to inane prattle and crappy music. So despite my efforts to stick my head in the sand, I hear a fair amount of what's going on in the news.
I turned on NPR this afternoon while Baby and I headed to the liquor store, and I learned of the former prime minister of Pakistan's assassination. I found myself at first distressed by this news and later saddened, saddened to the point that if affected my mood and demeanor for the rest of the day. As I drove to the grocery store to replace some chilies that had gone bad, I heard more news on this subject and found myself in the driver's seat sobbing for a woman I know almost nothing about, from a country I know nothing about. I can't figure this out. I am still devastated by this woman's death. I still want to cry for her, for her family, for her country, and I think I will end up shedding a few more tears for a woman I didn't care about, a country I don't care about. I can't figure out my sadness, except that maybe I'm sad because this is not what the world should be. We should be better than this. I know there's nothing I can do about it, bit I don't want the world to be a place where people are assassinated or blown up or get their houses taken away or can't eat or get educated. I want better. My baby deserves a world better than this.

2 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Much of the world is a sucky place. You are not raising the boy in such a place. My advice as a parent is to put blinders on and focus on the things you can do for your boy:

1. Read to him.
2. Raise him to be honest and moral.
3. Laugh with him
4. Play with him.

As he gets older, you'll have to explain unpleasant things to him, so at that point your job is to explain these things without frightening him. It will be tough at times, but you do just fine.

Believe me on this. After all, I'm the wife of the guy who told our older daughter about Kim Jong Il when she was four.

Grace Ellen said...

That is still one of my favorite stories about your family.