23 December 2008

a Christmas card


ENJOY THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON!


This is the text of an email I sent out earlier this evening

Hello-
We're not doing Christmas cards this year. We didn't do them last year either, but the difference is that last year, we actually paid for and received our Christmas cards. Then we never got around to sending them. None of you are surprised, I'm sure, as you've all been victims of our incredible lack of follow-through. I guess I should stop using "we," as Christmasy things tend to fall into my responsibilities. So I thought I'd send them out this year, since I'd already paid for them. I even bought stamps, but when I went to write heartfelt notes on each of the year-old cards, I couldn't find them. Found the envelopes, knew where the stamps were, had a vague idea of where to get addresses, and I couldn't find the actual cards. So Husband told me to send the photo I would have used on the Christmas card attached to a Christmas email. He will be pleased to learn that I have, for the first time in our marriage, done as he's told me. So here it is. Try to imagine this picture with a greeting along the lines of "Hoping you're in the holiday spirit," or something inappropriate like that.
And as we're not really the types to do Christmas newsletters, I won't leave you with anecdotes about the wonderful things my child has done in the past year (if you're that curious, check out my occasionally updated blog at http://rockyorthething.blogspot.com/), but I will tell you that he has recently learned to say the word clock, only he can't quite get the l sound in there, and he's also recently learned to love being loud, so imagine him yelling clock (minus the l sound) over and over and over in some public place, like Target, or the library, and other moms covering their children's ears while glaring at me, and you've got a typical outing with me and Micah. I also won't take your time telling you all of our news from the past year, our acomplishments, obsticales we've overcome, trips we've taken, etc, because that's not really us either, nor is there really much to report. As far as I know, we are healthy. As far as I know we are happy. And we hope you are as well.
Happy Christmas and whatever other holidays you may be celebrating (or boycotting) this year.
Love,
Grace Ellen, Husband, and Mr. Independent

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent photo. This will be especially helpful later one when he's going to be confirmed at church or possibly for his law school admissions.