31 December 2008

New Year's Suckin' Eve, or Resolve, updated

I'm home alone on New Year's Eve. The details of why aren't important, nor will I share the awesome events of the pity party I'm currently throwing for my self (guest list: me and a box of doughnuts), but since it is New Year's, I should share how I did in my resolution to read more books-this specific list, and since this blog is about me, me, and me, I'll also share my resolutions for 2009.
So a year ago I posted that I was going to read 20 specific books. I said I'd take the books in chunks of 20 and once I made it through one chunk, I'd post another chunk of 20. Well, I never made it through the first chunk. From my list of 20, I read six. Two of those six (Beloved and Wonder Boys) were read for my book club, a great way to make sure I read. In addition to the six books from my list, I read:
Playing for Pizza by John Grisham (also for Book Club)
Plantation by someone I forget-it sucked (also for Book Club)
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
River of Doubt by an author I forget-Colleen something, I think. It was about Theodore Roosevelt, and I kind of have a crush on him now.
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate di Camillo, and I ended up teaching it.
Skakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
The Shores of Silver Lake, The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, and These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder-it's like comfort food for my brain and heart.
The Doll People by several authors, including Ann M. Martin
Bonk by Mary Roach
A textbook on the Enlightenment and one on European Romanticism
I truly believe there's more that I'm forgetting. I didn't hit every book on my list, but I'm pleased with what I've done. If I finish Gathering Blue tonight, then that'll be one more.

As far as 2009 goes, I've thought about the typical lose weight, be better with money, get closer to God. Those are all good resolutions, and I do hope those things will happen, but I think I work better in specifics. Since we're about 2 hours away from '09, I'll list 9 goals.
1. Pray through the devotional Leighann gave me every day.
2. Lose 35 pounds, and on the way to that, fit into my red dress again.
3. Complete the triathlon in August.
4. Limit eating out to once a week or less.
5. Read more, specifically more fiction. I'm naturally inclined towards non-fiction, so it's a challenge for me to pick up a novel or short stories. I recently discovered there's a place that lets you borrow books for two weeks at a time-for free-so that should help me to read more.
6. Keep my house cleaner, like clean to the point where we don't have to get ourselves into a frenzy if people are coming over.
7. Save enough money to buy a new, fun pair of shoes.
8. Continue to learn more about where my food comes from and make responsible food choices that support ethical practices and local businesses.
9. Write on my blog everyday, even if it's just a sentence to show gratitude for something.

I'll try to update my progress regularly. Happy New Year! A box of doughnuts is calling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grace, you have some great goals. It makes me want to set some for myself--I don't know when the last time I made resolutions was. Maybe the first on my list should be to make at least one friend this year! Good luck with your resolutions.

Jaimee