18 August 2007

The Church Lady, Part 2

At the beginning of the summer, I vowed to go to church each week. To make myself stomach church each week I viewed it as a social observation/experiment. I went one week, which sucked, and never went again. I intended to go the second week, but apparently I was so tired that I fell asleep on the couch on the way to the shower, and Husband had to put me back to bed. I say apparently because I remember none of this. After that second week, we got busy with moving and unpacking and living between two houses, so church wasn't a priority. Who am I kidding, though? Church hasn't been a priority since I got married.
Church was so important to me in college and graduate school, but it's easy for things to be important when surrounded by others who also find them important. In college and graduate school, I surrounded myself with people who saw their faith as central to themselves. That's not to say that all my friends were Christians, but I had a huge support network of people who'd go to church with me, discuss the Bible and theology with me, pray for me, and challenge me. These were people who weren't of the be a Christian and everything will be great persuasion; they were more of the be a Christian and you may very well be just as fucked up as anyone else, that's right, fucked, but it's important to love God and do your very best to learn about Him, serve Him, and help others learn about Him persuasion.
Church/spending time with God/having a support system for all of that fell apart soon after I left graduate school. That's the tune of so many areas of my life right now. I know it's not an excuse; it's more of an explanation. It became harder and harder to even half-assedly keep up without support, and I quickly gave up. For three + years. I miss it, though. I miss it terribly. I miss having people close by that I can talk theology with in person. I miss being able to tell people I'm praying for them without them thinking I'm weird, or being able to bring God and God's will into a conversation about a decision or life or whatever.
So I've decided I have to get off my ass and find a church. While I doubt I will ever find people who will be as dear to me as Scottie or Caroline and Leighann, I am certain that in this city there are people who love God, and not in a crazy snake handling type of way. I just need to get off my ass and find them. This will be difficult for me, as I lack follow through on pretty much everything I attempt. It will also be difficult because my suspicion is that I will largely be on my own for this.
I'm currently searching the internet for nearby churches. I'm thinking of going to church tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure where to start. Because I'm Catholic, a Catholic church seems like the logical place to start but I'm currently dissatisfied with Holy Mother Church and its entities in Virginia. I'm not ready to say F.U. to the Catholic Church, but I might need a break for awhile and the thought of not being Catholic is often both a relief and crushing to me.
I like the Episcopal church because it's worship style is close to Catholic, but since it's an offshoot of the Church of England, I don't think I could ever be Episcopalian. I plan to try some Episcopal churches, however, because I'm curious to see what a casual service there is like.
I'm also running across a lot of Methodist churches. Scottie and I used to talk about how Methodist churches seemed like the safe churches-nothing crazy in worship, no altar calls, like snakes, or head coverings required. I don't know that I've been to a Methodist church since my uncle's wedding in 1995.
I'm vetting these churches online before vetting them in real life. I'm interested in finding a church that has young families, a casual worship option, Communion every week, and an organized liturgy. The church must also have a website with a decent amount of information about their worship, philosophy, ministries, and overall mission. If a church doesn't have a website, I won't go. It's also unlikely that I'll go to a church that appears to have snakes there, or a church where people speak in tongues. I'm assuming I'm not going to try a church with the word Baptist or Pentecostal in its name.
I'd really like to go tomorrow, go and wear the cute green pants I bought today, but it's probably unlikely.

1 comment: