05 August 2007

That Boy's Head's Like Sputnik

When Baby was born, his head was in the 5th percentile. At his one month check up, his doctor sent us to the hospital to get his head ultrasounded because his head circumference had skyrocketed to the 95th percentile. The ultrasound showed no abnormalities, and when I took him back for his two month check up, the doctor said "Well, his head is still on the charts." At his recent four month check up, the nurse practitioner told us that his weighty head is no longer on the chart. It's just that big. A virtual planetoid. For awhile, I was worried that the weight of his head was what was holding him back from being able to roll over, but that theory's been dispelled now. From certain angles, Baby looks like the Brain from Pinky and the Brain.
Husband and I tell people about Baby's head with a mixture of shame, self-consciousness, and amusement. When some people (generally of my mother's generation) hear of this, they say, "It's just because of that big, smart brain of his." Others will respond by joining us in quoting this.
I really don't think Baby's head is that big. It's not like he's a Kennedy. I really wasn't worried until I got this chilling glimpse into Baby's future. Oh my.

1 comment:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

"Look at the size of that boy's head. It's like an orange on a toothpick."

Actually, it's not, but if you're okay with the movie quotes, then we can at least have some fun.