01 October 2007

Jesus Loves Me

I have to teach religion as part of my job. It's funny that I say I have to teach religion when I spent two years preparing to get a job in a religious field and time after that searching for a job teaching religion. But now, I do say that I have to teach religion as part of my job.
My students and I were having a discussion during religion one day recently. One student raised her hand and said, "Yeah, but why did Jesus die on the cross for us?" I gave the standard answer which is something along the lines of He wanted us to be happy and live with him forever in heaven, but we couldn't because of sin, so instead of us dying for our sins, Jesus died for us so we wouldn't have to and could still be with God forever. She looked confused and dissatisfied, as she probably should have been, so I continued, "Let me put it a different way. Pretend everyone else who ever lived was perfect. Never sinned. Never did anything wrong. And the only thing you've ever done wrong was kick your brother. Once. Jesus still would have died for you. He loves you that much that even if nobody else had ever sinned, he would still want to be with you so badly that he'd go through all that pain, just for you. That's how much he loves you and that's why he died on the cross." She said "OOOOOOHHHHHH," that sound of either deep understanding or of feigned deep understanding. I mentally said "OOOOOHHHHHHH," because the truth of what I said hit me out of nowhere, and as much as I was capable, I understood how deeply God loves us.

No comments: