07 November 2007

Our Hospital Adventure

We spent the better part of the last few days in the hospital. What began as a phone call to the after hours pediatrician ended four days later with Husband, me, and Baby ready to gauge each other's eyes out after being trapped in a hospital room waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.
On Saturday evening, Baby spiked a very high fever. On the advice of my mother in law, via Jen, I called the pediatrician. She said to go to the ER. I didn't freak out or anything, and Husband and I both figured the doctor would see Baby, give him some antibiotics, and send us on our way. That was our naive thinking at 7:30 pm. At 12:30 am (really 1:30 am, but the clocks had been set back) I was being vomited on while in an elevator going to the 6th floor of the hospital-the pediatric wing.
The nurse made up beds for us-chairs that unfolded, a sheet, a crappy pillow and blanket, and examined Baby. She took his blood pressure and temperature and attached something to his toe that monitored the amount of oxygen he was taking in. She put him on oxygen. Husband found us food from the wing's freezer, and we inhaled Healthy Choice dinners. Eventually we all fell into a restless sleep.
We spent Sunday in the hospital. Husband left at dawn to take a shower and returned at lunchtime. I spent the morning reading and holding a sleeping Baby. After lunch, I left to shower and purchase jeans, since the ones I was wearing were covered in vomit and other Baby goo and pretty much had to be destroyed.
We got a roommate Sunday night. She was a two year old who also had RSV and apparently liked to shriek and cry. She and her mother got to the hospital just as Husband and I were finishing our dinner of crappy Chinese food. Baby and two-year old stared and stared at each other. The two-year old seemed very interested in Baby, and he seemed interested in her. Husband left me and went home to sleep. I lay in bed and cried.
The hospital's rule for going home was that Baby had to be off of the oxygen for 24 hours before we could go home. We hoped that he'd make it through Sunday night without needing the oxygen, but on Monday morning, the nurse woke me, apologized, and said we'd have to stay another night. Husband showed up, and I left to shower and pick up some stuff from work. We spent another mind-numbing day in the hospital. Husband got to leave because he had class. Our roommate got released; her mom sprinted out of the hotel room. We encouraged Baby over and over to stay off of the oxygen that night. Husband woke me around 1 am, telling me he had to go home since we were getting a new roommate. He left, and I called him to tell him I thought he should stay in the lobby with the other dads. He disagreed. I lay in my bed and cried. The roommate, a three month old baby, had a mama who looked to be about 19. She was MIA most of the night while her child cried and cried and my child then cried and cried, and I got a few 45 minute stretches that night.
Baby made it through the night, and we made it home yesterday morning. I am exhausted. Baby is cranky, sleepier than usual, not eating, but other than that, back to normal. Let's not let this happen again.

1 comment:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

That was quite the adventure. I'm glad you're home.