28 July 2007

Sad again...

Yesterday should have been the greatest day of my life, a day surpassing getting engaged, married, or having Baby. Yesterday, The Simpsons Movie opened. I've been a fan of The Simpsons since early on. I didn't watch The Tracy Ullman Show, but I remember one day, in fourth grade, coming home and telling my parents that we needed to start watching America's Funniest Home Videos and The Simpsons. That's what a lot of the kids in my class were doing, and I was just starting to realize that I wasn't, in any form, cool. I grew out of America's Funniest Home Videos and never got into its subsequent incarnations, but The Simpsons stuck. I've been more committed to that television show than I've ever been to anything else in my life, and The Simpsons has been part of my life longer than Catholicism or Husband. A large chunk of my master's thesis was devoted to religious themes in that particular animated television show. Rumors of a movie have floated around for years; I remember discussing this with friends in college.
I should have been there yesterday for the first showing. I should have driven to the closest 7-11 that's been turned into a Kwik-E-Mart. I should have posted a review of the movie and all it's greatness (or crapiness) on my blog.
I have a baby, and when babies come around, life changes. I'm not going to be the mama taking a baby into a movie theatre. I think the noise would likely scare him, and seeing as how I hate going to movie theatres because people always talk and ruin the experience for me, I'm not going to do it to someone else. Nor do I think seeing a movie is the best thing for Baby. So I'll have to wait a few days, until my mom can babysit, before seeing this movie. Had the movie come out a year ago, I would have been there on opening day. But it didn't, and my priorities have changed.

No comments: