03 May 2007

All progress deserves a setback

Baby was awake from about 5:30 or 6 yesterday afternoon until midnight, with the exception of a small catnap around 7. He screamed from 9:30 to midnight, when he finally fell asleep in my arms and didn't wake again when Husband put him in his crib. At 2:01 Baby woke up again wanting to eat. I fed him, and he fell asleep on my stomach until around 5. He ate/dozed from 5 to 6 when he decided that even though he was sleepy, it was time to play. Thankfully, when Baby decides it's time to play he's so f-ing cheerful and cute that it curbs the frustration a little. You may be wondering why I'm so tired if I slept from 12 to 2 and then again from 2 to 5. Here's why: The two hours between 12 and 2 were great, once I stopped lying in bed thinking "Don't wake up soon. Don't wake up soon. Sleep for four hours. Sleep for four hours." Of course he doesn't, even though he's got to be wiped out. So when Baby wakes at 2, not with sweet baby noises, but with two loud, shrill shrieks that have me bolting up in bed and sprinting through the obstacle course that is my bedroom to comfort my child. At 2, then, Baby eats lazily, then falls asleep on my stomach, his new favorite place to sleep. Now I can fall asleep, but sleeping with a baby on top of me is incredibly stressful for me. I constantly startle awake and check on him to make sure he's still there. Whenever he shifts positions, which is a lot, I have to shift as well in order to preserve the precarious balance. I'm perpetually terrified he's going to fall off of my stomach and onto the floor. So that 3 hour chunk is not in any way a restful three hour chunk. I just fed Baby again, and now he's asleep again on my stomach. If you're thinking aaawww, how cute, let me tell you, it's sweet to fall asleep with a baby, but there are the occasional moments where it gets old. If I move, he's likely to wake up. If I stay here, I'm resigned to two hours of trying to sleep, worrying he's going to fall, watching the Today show, and playing computer Scrabble. I was so excited yesterday by his sleep the night before and during the morning yesterday. I was able to empty the dishwasher, start to make a bottle for Baby, and eat. Now I just feel a little discouraged, tired, and I really have to pee. I know this is just part of having a baby, but really, I'm kind of struggling here. All I want is the occasional 2 to 3 hour chunk of sleep without a baby on top of me. Then I'd like another 90 minute chunk where Baby is sleeping and I am awake to make a dent in the squalor before our landlord shows the apartment tomorrow afternoon. Sigh. At least he's so cute and sweet.

No comments: