04 May 2007

Let Arby's deal with it

Baby has been to a few restaurants in his short life. He's been to a fairly nice restaurant once, a Mexican place twice, Dairy Queen once, and another nice restaurant once. Every time he's been fairly well behaved. If he's gotten fussy, he's calmed down quickly with a short walk around, a change of position, a bottle or a pacifier. Enter last night's trip to Arby's. Husband coaches a soccer team, and they go to dinner after away games. Since last night's game was only an hour away, I drove out and met them for dinner. Before dinner I took Baby on a trip to Target, which is apparently the most miserable place on earth, and Barnes and Noble, which he seemed to love (yea!). Then I drove over to Arby's. I finished changing Baby's diaper just as Husband's bus was pulling up, so I met the bus rather than go inside. As soon as the bus doors opened, I was surrounded by high school girls who cooed and ooohed over how cute Baby is. When people do that, I usually ask if they'd like to hold him. One of the girls immediately and excitedly accepted my offer, and I handed Baby over. Well, once one high school girl held Baby, all the high school girls wanted to hold Baby. Husband and I allowed Baby to be passed around among several soccer playing girls who seemed just delighted to be given such a privilege. I saw this as an opportunity to eat dinner since my baby does such a good job in restaurants. Pretty much once we sat down with our food, Baby started howling. He continued to be passed around among the soccer team, and if I'd turned around to look, I'm sure I would have seen several frazzled looking young girls. I occasionally asked Husband for an update on Baby, and he'd say, "He's with[insert player's name here]. They're fine," as I heard Baby's screams increase in volume and frequency. I could see other diners look around to see a) what was making that awful, horrible noise, and b) who was being horribly horribly abused. I'm sure they were shocked at the noise a 5 1/2 week old can make. Finally, Baby ended up in the arms of one of the player's mother's, and an entire soccer team breathed a collective sigh of relief. Baby continued to cry, then whimper, then collapse defeatedly on the shoulder of said mom, where he stayed until it was time to go home.
After thinking about why Baby acted this way after doing such a nice job so many other times, I could only conclude that Baby clearly prefers fine dining.

No comments: