30 May 2007

Update on Baby

Baby had his two month check up today. He's now 23 inches long, 12 pounds and 4 ounces, and his head is "still on the charts" at a whopping 17 1/4 inches. He got four shots and cried quite a bit. It wasn't as traumatic as I expected, but I still got a little teary seeing my baby in pain. He's been pretty fussy and lethargic for most of the day today, and he's slept quite a bit.
The doctor and I discussed his sleeping. She told me that by four months, our lives should look like how we want our lives to look. I guess Husband and I need to start discussing what we want our lives to look like. The doctor told me to start trying to get Baby used to sleeping where we want him to sleep. So if we want him to sleep in his swing, we should try to put him in his swing a couple times a day when he's sleepy. If we want him to sleep in his crib, we should put him in his crib. She also said to let him cry for "no more than 7-10 minutes," if all of his needs have been met. I guess 7-10 minutes is not enough time for him to be traumatized and feel as though he's not being listened to. While I'm ready to take steps to get him out of my bed, the thought of sitting by while my baby cries is still hard for me to imagine. I assume this is something most parents go through at one point or another, though. The doctor also told me that if he won't sleep on his back, sleeping on his side is probably fine, but she wouldn't recommend stomach sleeping, unless someone is right with him the entire time. So I feel like there's hope. Baby has also taken to fighting his bottle, whether it's formula or breastmilk. She said to keep fighting him on it-basically make him take his bottle-and that boy babies tend to have a harder time with bottles.
In other, non-medical Baby news, Baby has taken to rolling over from his stomach to his back. He did this the first time a couple weeks ago, and I felt like a crappy mama because I a) didn't see it happen, and b) left him on his stomach, unattended, for a few minutes while I went in the kitchen. Now he rolls over quite a bit. Today I put him on his stomach, and he rolled over almost immediately. Go, Baby!
When we figure out how to put video on our computer, I will try to post Baby rolling over. It's really cute, and I find myself being constantly mesmerized by him. I feel really lucky to have him.

No comments: